Follow Me on Pinterest

A Modest Ultimatum for Planned Parenthood

Liberals were beside themselves that Speaker Boehner played chicken with a government shutdown over something as "petty" as funding Planned Parenthood. I can't believe liberals want to preserve the deficit by protecting such funding.

One of the problems the pro-life movement has in arguing with liberals over abortion is the ease with which they are able to muddle the moral bankruptcy of the procedure with circumstances that supposedly make pro-lifers look foolish on the matter of funding organizations like Planned Parenthood.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Abortions?

For instance, it's illegal for Planned Parenthood to use federal funds to pay for abortions. So right off the bat the GOP argument to defund is finished like my appetite at a PETA barbeque.

To ensure the law is followed there is a little fetus stamp that goes on every federal dollar they get. Every time they have to pay a bill related to abortion services they inspect every dollar bill for the stamp, if they spot it they have to set it aside and find a different dollar.

I'm sure that's exactly how Planned Parenthood handles their money, and that it's really nothing like if you melted chocolate bars and exlax in pan and the government expected you not to make chocolate bars using exlax...good luck.

Another argument liberals like Ezra Klein have been using is Planned Parenthood claims that 3% of all their activity are abortions So it's fallacious to marry them to abortion, even if they are the largest provider of them in the country.

According to their website abortion costs between $350-$950 in the first trimester. I don't know how they determine which end of the spectrum to charge. Maybe they do an ultrasound before hand to determine how precious the life they're about to mine out is.

Last year Planned Parenthood performed 332,278 abortions. So if we generously set aside the assumption that abortions in the second trimester are more than $950 we can conservatively estimate their average revenue from abortion procedures to be $650 a pop for a grand total of $215,980,700...about 20% of all revenue.

All work and no pay makes PP a private sector deal

Not a bad haul for it being only 3% of their overall workload. No wonder the government wants to help fund it.

By comparison, Media Matters gets a lower number (here) but they lower the average to $500 and arrive at 15%...still a fantastic payday for the amount of work done, even if it is underestimated.

In light of all of this here's my proposed ultimatum to Planned Parenthood that I wish our "leaders" would give:

Perform abortions and forgo the more than $300 million per year they get from the American people, regardless of the fact the money isn't "used" for abortion. The boys scouts don't murder gay scout masters, they just exercise choice and "abort" their jobs in the organization, and that never stops liberals from calling for their defunding.

So Planned Parenthood can do that, or they can take our money and end all abortion procedures.

It's pretty simple math, sacrifice $200 million, or $300 million. This shouldn't be too big of a deal, the people who perform abortions there sacrifice their decency on a daily basis, and how do you put a price on that?

Since we are running trillion dollar deficits I think that's a more generous offer than the one given to the lives they abort snuff out.