Follow Me on Pinterest

Birthers vs Truthers: Who Would You Rather Have A Beer With?

Liberals sure do get uppity when you want to suggest their hero might not actually be a born American. In deference to them, being American is a state of mind more than a birthright. We know this because there isn't anything American about the soapbox lefties choose to stand on.

They like to call their "progressive" positions American, but last time I checked a social justice cocktail wasn't the drink of choice for the Founding Fathers, and they cared more about spreading butter than wealth.

They can cry foul all they want when Donald Trump "feeds the animals," but which side likes a little kool-aide with their fringe?

There aren't a lot of great public numbers on the partisan breakdown of adherents to that conspiracy theory, but the University of Ohio yesterday shared with us the crosstabs of a 2006 poll they did with Scripps Howard that's useful in that regard.

"How likely is it that people in the federal government either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to stop the attacks because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East?" the poll asked.

A full 22.6% of Democrats said it was "very likely." Another 28.2% called it "somewhat likely."

More at Politico....

Some numbers I've seen on the Obama/birther side are slightly lower than this. I don't know, partisans are partisans, so it's hard to look at something like this and not equivocate. We should probably check in with people who don't subscribe to either theory....like me!

I also am not afraid to admit that guys like Olbermann and Maddow are quite good looking

I'm the perfect guy to weigh in on this, because I'm not so married to my ideology that I can't be impartial when really I want to be. For example, I'd totally concede that CNN is a middle of the road news network at gunpoint.

So if I had to accessorize my politics with a little fringe what would look better on me? Hmm...

Should I go with the idea that a sitting president risked his legacy going down in historic flames (to which he largely succeeded in the short term) because the rush of being an accomplice to the murder of thousands of innocent people gave him leg tingles AND he wanted to play GI Joe in the desert?

OR

We elected a guy whose past we knew nothing about. Nobody in the field of journalism had much of any curiosity to rectify the problem. What little we know raises red flags that make China's look pink in comparison. People wonder where he was born, and that's when the man decides to play the quiet game, which effectively puts gas on the fire.

Truthers and Birthers both have issues in their own right, but George W. Bush never egged the Truthers on. Their type of crazy has it's own locomotion that even debunking articles from Popular Science, or the cognitive dissonance of the so-called "dumbest" president ever masterminding the most diabolical conspiracy ever, can't slow down. It operates on a faith normally reserved for the likes of God and MSNBC stockholders. If we could bottle that energy of theirs we would solve the energy crisis tomorrow.

Meanwhile, all the Birthers want, if liberals really want them to shut up, is to see a lousy piece of paper.

If I had to pick a group that I would rather have a beer with it would definitely be the Birthers, because Truthers can't mix alcohol with their medication.