Follow Me on Pinterest

Happy Independence Day

I was at the beach with my wife yesterday, and at beginning of the pier at the beach stands a flag pole, and the American flag was waving in the wind.

I did what happens to me almost ever time I see our flag wave...I stared at it, and for the moment I was watching it the rest of the world didn't exist. I become totally lost in the beauty of its waving, and all of the significance that flag carries. I think about how awesome our country is, and how much pride I have inside of myself to be an American. That happens almost every time I see our flag wave. We are so blessed.

I also get sad that there are actually others out there who don't feel the same way, and that waving the flag is just so bourgeois, and that statements like this...

The longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?

-Benjamin Franklin

...sound more like the ravings of the superstitious than the acknowledgement of Truth required to keep this country as great as it is.

I want to say that our complacency with freedom makes such seeming contempt inevitable, but I can't believe it. Since the beginning of the American journey the wind of God's power and greatness has been at our back, and it continues to blow only so long as we know he's there. I know it's not easy, but not only do we have to continue to pray for God's blessing on our nation, we have to start encouraging each other to do so as well.

We are great because we asked God to make us great. If we lose that greatness there will be no other way to get it back except through Him.

When I pray for our country I pray that we never forget this Truth. I especially pray that our leaders remember it, and that those who have forgotten it will someday come to know it again.

May God Bless America, and may we continue to actively seek that blessing.

Happy Independence Day!